March 20th is officially the first day of spring, and I think we speak for most when we say we cannot wait! Longer days and warmer weather if exactly what we need after this long, cold winter.
Spring also means it’s time to get outside and start taking care of our yards again. The winter can do a lot of damage to our yards, from dead grass to piles of debris.
We wanted to offer some helpful tips that we use when cleaning up our client’s yards in Omaha during the spring. If you’re looking to spruce up your yard after the long winter months, we’ve got your back.
Your Spring Checklist for Yard Cleanup
- Remove dead leaves and plants from landscaping beds.
- Take a look through your landscaping beds and remove any plants that didn’t winter over. It is also a good idea to deadhead any plants and grasses. Any debris such as leaves or pine cones should be removed.
- Add mulch to landscaping beds
- Mulch offers good weed control and helps hold water in your soil for longer. As an added bonus, it also looks nice and professional.
- Check all retaining walls and walkways for damage
- Double-check to see how things are holding up. Retaining walls can be necessary to fight erosion but can also be affected by it. Any walkways or paths that can barely be seen should also be cleaned up and made visible.
- Cut back and remove plants
- Sometimes plants that you don’t want to keep coming back year after year. Cut these back to prevent overgrowth. You may also notice seedlings sprouting, such as for maple trees, and if you don’t want a maple tree growing there, it’s best to remove it.
- Complete a Chemical Application
- Depending on the types of chemicals, you can prevent crabgrass, control bugs, and have a greener-looking yard with different chemical applications. If you are unsure about the process or are looking for a professional company to do your chemical applications, we can help. We have a six-step program and apply chemicals every 4-6 weeks to keep your lawn looking its best.
- Add new perennials and annuals
- If you’re looking for added color or replacing a dead plant, check out your local plant store for annuals and perennials. Just remember to always check the type of sun they need so you plant them somewhere they will flourish.
Don’t have time for a spring cleanup?
If you’re not able to complete these steps to clean up your yard, you’re not alone. Nebraska Yard Care is happy to help. You can get the lawn of your dreams without lifting a finger with us.
Contact Nebraska Yard Care at 402-208-7861 for a free consultation. Nebraska Yard Care has been a staple of the Nebraska lawn care community since 1998. We pride ourselves on providing the highest quality people and products. With lots of satisfied customers, our reputation speaks for itself.