As with many things, with a new year come new trends. We just wrote about planning your landscaping design, but maybe you are stuck still looking for inspiration… Luckily, we have some ideas! From providing refuge for wildlife, to creating a relaxing place you can enjoy all year round, we will cover the 4 hottest landscaping trends of 2018.
1. Grow Your Food
Having a garden has become increasingly popular, and people are getting more experimental and creative as their popularity grows. We love a willingness to try new things. If you’ve never experienced growing your own food at home, it is greatly rewarding. If you have before and are looking for something new try, check out these ideas:
- Plant herbs in containers. You can bring them inside during cold months and keep fresh herbs all year long.
- Grow your veggies! Try tomatoes, bell peppers, or kale. Check out local Nebraska planting schedules to know what grows best depending on region and time of year.
- Try unusual edibles. You can find a variety of unusual seeds around the Omaha metro at local seed-swaps and even from local libraries.
- Don’t forget flowers. Not only are some flowers edible, (pansies, violets, roses, etc.) they also attract pollinators that contribute to the health of the rest of your garden. More on this later!
If you’re not sure where to start, where to place your garden for the best sunlight, or are worried about the maintenance of a garden, that’s okay! We are here to help. Nebraska Yard Care can be your go-to for garden maintenance and including a garden in your landscape design.
Using containers for plants aren’t exactly new, but people are getting more and more creative with what they use. It is also a great way to highlight a favorite plant and add enticing or intricate elements to your landscape design. They can dress up patios, porches, and windowsills with ease. Containers are also a great alternative for people who live in apartments or are renting. With small living spaces becoming increasingly more popular, so does the container trend. Try looking at Pinterest for creative container ideas.
3. Cooperative Landscaping and Restoring Habitats
As urban areas continue to grow, natural habitats for bees, butterflies, birds, and other local wildlife continue to dwindle. People are becoming more conscious of the space they have and how they can create a habitat garden, and we are seeing a growing trend of landscaping that benefits more than just us. To follow this trend, try some of these tips:
- Have less yard and more plants, trees and shrubs. That means less lawn care and more habitats for wildlife.
- Grow both seed-producing and berry-bearing plants
- Restrict or stop using insecticides
- Include pollinator plants in your landscape design. Here’s a list of native Nebraska pollinator plants to consider.
4. Pushing Your Landscape’s Seasonal Boundaries
Another trend we noticed is that people are putting more thought into their winter landscapes. Lately, the weather has been cold and most yards are looking… drab. Without a lot growing, a landscape can look empty and dreary, but the thing is that your landscape doesn’t have to! A bit of extra color and some new textures can go a long way. So start thinking about your landscape for next winter, now!
We have touched on how to turn your landscape into a winter wonderland before, but here are a few more things to look for when selecting plants for winter interest:
- Evergreens that change color in the winter
- Deciduous shrubs or trees with colorful or peeling bark
- Early bloomers that bring late winter flowers
Hopefully, this will give you some ideas for your landscaping design in 2018 or at least some new projects to try. If you are still looking for more landscaping design inspiration, or just a trustworthy company to maintain the landscaping you already have with quality lawn care, give Nebraska Yard Care a call. We are here for all your Omaha landscaping needs.